Locations: London, New York and Los Angeles
Strong WiFi and CCTV security at 4 annual events
Frieze is a high-end events and media company that hosts large art and culture events all around the world.
We have been working with Frieze since 2011 and are one of only a couple of contractors that work at all four annual Frieze events.
We started working with Frieze in 2011 when we were asked us to deliver connectivity to Frieze London, creating infrastructure that would provide WiFi and CCTV solutions to production, staff, exhibitors and guests at the event. A high-level security and CCTV system were vital to Frieze due to the amount of valuable art pieces on display across the event.
We needed to design and install a connectivity solution that allows Frieze to:
- Offer a strong, reliable WiFi solution to the production, staff, exhibitors and guests at the event
- Provide a flexible solution for the vast and sometimes temporary event spaces
- Plan and create a structure that is synchronised with all other contractors
- Deploy a high-quality CCTV system
- Become highly adaptable to work abroad within any environment
The Frieze London event space was vast, spanning across 173 galleries, and was built in a temporary structure housed in a field. As a result, we faced the challenge of creating and developing a large network with very limited infrastructure.
After our successes at the Frieze London and Frieze Masters events, we were invited to design and deploy WiFi and CCTV solutions at Frieze New York in 2018 – the world’s largest temporary structure at the time.
As the project was abroad, we first faced the logistical challenge of shipping all our equipment to the USA and ensuring we had trained staff to implement and manage the network. We also faced legal barriers working in the USA, having to make sure we were fully equipped to work in a different country and new environment.
To achieve the adaptability and scale Frieze requires at their events, we use enterprise grade equipment to make sure each event has a strong, extensive network across the vast space. Across all four Frieze events in 2019, we used over 40km of cable and deployed over 250 access points to create strong connectivity with a fast and reliable network.
We also deployed:
- VoIP to allow people to make voice calls using a broadband internet connection due to the sometimes remote and temporary structures that house the events.
- Door alarms and extensive CCTV systems were deployed to make sure the event had reliable security.
- Each event had its own specialist Network Tech and team of cabler engineers to help install and run the systems.
- We ensured that we were on hand throughout the entirety of the event for live support.
- Vast pre-planning with Frieze to help design and create a unique network structure that worked for the event.
Our established and strong relationship with Frieze helps us to improve the efficiency and quality of our delivery at the four annual Frieze events we work at: Frieze London, Frieze Masters, Frieze New York, and Frieze Los Angeles.
We are always looking to improve our service and since our first Frieze event in London 2011, we have installed a permanent fibre circuit accessible from Regent’s Park that we use each year to help improve the overall connectivity of Frieze London and Frieze Masters.
Their experience working with us
What Frieze had to say
“They’re one of probably only two or three contractors that actually do all four of our events nowadays. It’s obviously a bit of a challenge with the US, different show, different ground, different working ethics and environment. I know that if we go on site, I know I can call on any of the team and problems get solved immediately.”
“They’re difficult events when you build from the grounds up and there’s a lot of compromise that all contractors working on the show need to reach and I would say that Max WiFi do that incredibly well and it makes life a lot easier.”
Louise Dixon, Frieze Production Director